Artificial intelligence (AI) is the intelligence of machines and the branch of computer science that aims to create it. Textbooks define the field as "the study and design of intelligent agents" where an intelligent agent is a system that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chances of success. John McCarthy, who coined the term in 1956, defines it as "the science and engineering of making intelligent machines."
Known AI[edit | edit source]
- Ava Johnson, developed by Tracer Tong during the 2040s.
- Daedalus, developed by Morgan Everett and Bob Page after Morpheus.
- Eliza Cassan, an advanced newsreader for Picus TV in 2027, who is believed to be a real person by the majority of civilians.
- Helios, born from the fusion of Daedalus and Icarus.
- Icarus, developed by Bob Page after Daedalus went rogue.
- Morpheus, a minor AI developed by Morgan Everett and Bob Page sometime after 2027.
- NG Resonance, AI construct of a real pop star used to gather information for the WTO.
- The Oracle, an extremely minor AI active in 2052 as an information broker; only mentioned in a few e-mails.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- At some point during the Deus Ex development, there was a mission in which JC Denton would have been asked to travel to the moon to confront a rogue, malevolent AI named Ada, but much like the scrapped White House and Texas Border missions, the moon level never made it into the final game.