Deus Ex: Human Defiance was the name of a proposed movie based primarily on Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The project was first announced in 2012. However, no further information has been released since June 2015.
On 12 July 2012, it was announced that a film adaptation based on the game was being planned by Eidos Montréal and CBS Films, who secured the film rights to the game. On 15 November 2012, it was announced that Scott Derrickson would be directing the film, as well as co-writing the script with C. Robert Cargill. The two had worked together on the film, Sinister. In the same article, it was revealed that Roy Lee and Adrian Askarieh would be the film's producers, with John P. Middleton as executive-producer.
In February 2013, Square Enix registered the trademark "Deus Ex: Human Defiance" in Europe, which turned out to be the name of the film. The European trademark is set to expire on February 26, 2023 if it is not renewed.
Also in February 2013, Digital Spy reported that, according to screenwriter C. Robert Cargill, the movie will not be a rehash of the games but will instead be an original story set around the time of Human Revolution.
On July 22, 2014, the Hollywood Reporter reported that Human Defiance would be written by Michael Finch.
In June 2015, Screen Rant reported that the project was moving away from CBS Studios due to the departure of producers Adrian Askarieh and Roy Lee from the studio, and that a new home for the film would be announced "shortly." The article also reported that Askarieh hoped that the announcement would come in summer. However, no further information on the project has been released since then.
- "Scott Derrickson will direct Deus Ex: Human Revolution for CBS Films," http://sknr.net, November 15th, 2012
- "Deus Ex: Human Defiance trademark filed by Square-Enix," VG247, 27 February 2013
- 'Deus Ex: Human Defiance' trademarked for movie, Digital Spy, 03/03/2013
- Data for DEUS EX: HUMAN DEFIANCE, Trademark No. 011605474 (EUIPO)
- "'Deus Ex' movie not a video game rehash, says writer", Digital Spy, 21/02/2013
- "'Predators' Writer Boards 'Deus Ex' Movie (Exclusive)", The Hollywood Reporter, July 22, 2014
- "'Deus Ex' Producer Teases Big Movie Announcement 'Soon'", Screen Rant, June 19, 2015