The M-28 UR-DED is a remote explosive developed by Steiner-Bisley GmbH . It is the next-generation iteration of the venerable Satchel charge. The M-28 UR-DED consists of 273 grams of blue liquid nano explosive wrapped in a transparent package that can adhere to any surface and a wireless remote trigger. The user can detonate the package with radio remote trigger or using either direct fire-targeting. This explosive can work alone or be activated along with other M-28s.
This remote-detonation capability combined with the propensity among enemies to investigate explosions means that even a pacifist player might find this useful as a distraction. You don't need to be able to see the UR-DEDs you have deployed; merely hold down the throw/use button (the default key is 'G') to detonate them and draw attention.
- Sarif Manufacturing Plant, four are given to the player in the start, if the Explosive Mission Pack is installed.
- Detroit - Adam Jensen's apartment, one can be found in the secret stash behind the TV screen.
- Detroit - A storage locker tucked in the right side of the road of DRB territory road before Derelict Row.
- Hengsha - Harverster's Hideout, one can be found in the security room with a sleeping gang member inside, close to a turret, just below Street Level.
- Hengsha - Harvester's Hideout, one can be found in a makeshift surgery room on floor 1, next to the cells.
- UR-DED is shorthand for "You are dead" or "You're dead."
- The detonator shown in the concept art is not used with the explosives in-game. However, it is used as the inventory icon for the 'Unknown Handheld Device' that the player is given at the beginning of the bonus mission to rescue Tracer Tong.
- It is unclear how the explosive packages do not stick to Jensen's body when obtained, seeing that they adhere to any and all surfaces they are thrown at. This is probably due to gameplay reasons, or that the explosive packs were covered with a non-stick layer similar to present day breaching charges to prevent unwanted adherence prior to being deployed.