Sarif Industries is a moderately-sized but extremely advanced biotechnology company based in North America, with its headquarters in the city of Detroit. The company is founded in 2007 and ceases operations in 2028 when Tai Yong Medical performs a hostile takeover of it.
Founded by the philanthropist David Sarif in 2007 when he acquired a failing Detroit auto factory, it was repurposed for the automated manufacture of prosthetics. Sarif Industries specializes in the design and manufacture of advanced mechanical augmentations for human implantations. The company distinguishes itself from its competitors by working with clients to create progressive, forward-thinking, custom augmentations that answer specific challenges and needs. It strongly believes that the research, development and implementation of augmentations is a measure of human advancement towards a better, stronger, faster and smarter future.
In 2009, the U.S. Government, stretched thin by two Mideast conflicts, awards the contract of the Recycle Military Bill, financing free prosthetics for any wounded veteran who re-enlists, to Sarif Industries, which becomes the number one prosthetics manufacturer in America.
On November 30, 2010, Sarif announces the launch of the Eye-Know Retinal Prosthesis capable of restoring sight to those with a once incurable optic nerve damage and other visual impairments.
In 2017, in an attempt to catch up to the rapid advancements of rival nations, the U.S. military awards Sarif a top secret no-bid contract to manufacture deep-brain intelligence-enhancing chips.
In 2026, in response to increased level of competition and shrinking marketplace, Sarif realizes the need for an all-new, high-level security team to protect its research and employees. A team is formed and implemented, featuring highly-trained personnel and a veteran leader in ex-SWAT member: Adam Jensen. In 2027, members of the anti-augmentation group Humanity Front protest against Sarif's augmentation program, in front of the Sarif Headquarters in Detroit.
Following the Aug Incident, Sarif is hit with crippling regulatory measures as a result of the recently passed Taggart Act. This, along with the cancellation of many of their outstanding contracts and heightened anti-augmentation sentiment from the public, proves to be their undoing and, in 2028, Sarif Industries declares bankruptcy, with the bulk of its assets and patents being acquired by Tai Yong Medical.
In 2027, Sarif Industries employs over 1500 people in the Detroit greater metropolitan area, in its local core factory and satellite research and development facilities. The company maintains an in-house staff of doctors and nurses in addition to HET (Human Enhancement Technologies) scientists and researchers, who are trained to work with clients to determine individual needs. The company offers clients comprehensive, pre-operational screenings free of charge, so as to better understand their personal challenges and needs.
- CEO - David Sarif
- Chief of Physical Security – Adam Jensen
- Chief of Network Security – Francis Pritchard
- Chief Pilot – Faridah Malik
- Director of Public Relations – Lyle Rogers
- Assistant Director of Public Relations – Gale Bergama
- Executive Assistant – Athene Margoulis
- Manager, Sarif Manufacturing Plant – Josie Thorpe
- Line Manager, Sarif Manufacturing Plant – Greg Thorpe
- Biocybernetics Researcher – Dr. M. Hastings
The following scientists were kidnapped during the Tyrants' attack on the Sarif Industries headquarters in 2027:
Miscellaneous named employees
The following employees are confirmed employees of Sarif Industries, but their job titles are not known.
|Sarif Industries Headquarters employees|
|Sarif Manufacturing Plant employees|
- Model 3402.2 Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis
- Dermal Plated Cybernetic Hand Prosthesis
- H22-DLX Cybernetic Hand Prosthesis
- Hermes 2027 Cybernetic Leg Prosthesis
- Ishtar-model Cybernetic Leg Prosthesis
- XB71 Eye-Know Retinal Prosthesis
- Atid-model Eye-Know Retinal Prosthesis
- Eye-See Vision Enhancement Package
- Implanted Rebreather
- Artifical Heart
- Sentinel RX Health System
- Sarif Series 8 Energy Converter
- C.A.S.I.E. Social Enhancer
- Weave 7 neural weave
- Rhino Dermal Armor
- GlassShield Cloaking System
- Typhoon Explosive System
- Combat Nano-Ceramic Blade
- R7 biochip
- X1 biochip
- S7 combat arm replacement 0903_93AJ (Adam's arms)
As part of Human Revolution's marketing campaign, a Sarif Industries website was released. It was designed as if it was the company's website in-universe, and contained videos advertising the company and its products. There was a section dedicated to the augmentation Sarif was creating, complete with explanations of them. There was also a page that allowed users to take photos of themselves and edit a range of augs on to the body.
As of late 2020, the Sarif Industries website now permanently redirects to the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided page on Square Enix's website. And, due to Flash Player's end of life on December 31st 2020, none of the following content is visible without external tools. Some of the site may be accessible with the help of the Wayback Machine and a Flash replacement, but it can be temperamental. Because it was not especially well documented when it was released, the website as a whole seems mostly lost.
On the 22nd of July 2011, Purity First "hacked" into the website. They aimed to expose Sarif's wrongdoings and convince people that augmentations were wrong. To do this, they featured messages across the website referring to the consequences of augmentation, including scientific and religious arguments. Examples include "Human augmentation is humanity's extinction" and "They are playing God".
The website also included a hacking minigame, which was a simplified version of the in-game hacking minigame. Once you completed the minigame, you were rewarded with secret information, supposedly hacked by Purity First. This information included a video of a conversation between a hacker called E-SO and an unknown user. The video shows Sarif Industries testing their military grade weapon augmentations, including the Typhoon Explosive System. Completing the hacking minigame also gives the user access to profiles of Megan Reed, Francis Pritchard, Faridah Malik, and Athene Margoulis.
- Before the release of Deus Ex, a UNATCO website was put online, as a marketing strategy. The same thing happened in 2011 with Human Revolution and Sarif Industries.
- "Sarif" is a play on the word "seraph" (a.k.a. seraphim), a type of angel (a member of the highest order of angels, often represented as a child's head with wings). It can also be an allusion to serifs in typography, which are extra lines on the ends of letters, representing the extremities offered by Sarif Industries. The word serif is probably of Germanic origin, and most likely comes from the Old High German "screvōn" to engrave (in this case, to augment or embellish). It should also be noted that Sarif Industries logo uses a serif typeface called Trajan Pro.
- Deus Ex: Black Light
- Timeline to Augmentation on the Sarif Industries website (requires Flash Player to view)
- Sarif Industries discovers scientific breakthrough in creating new Eye-Know Retinal Prosthesis (requires Flash Player to view)
- Collapse of an Industry
- Company information on the Sarif Industries website (requires Flash Player to view)