|"All in all, you weren't a bad experiment. You will be the last prototype we have to discard."|
|— Walton Simons to JC Denton|
Biography[edit | edit source]
Walton Simons is Bob Page's chief lieutenant and right hand man. In order to control FEMA as a proxy, Page manipulated a U.S. senator infected with the Gray Death to appoint Simons as the head of FEMA. In a meeting between Page and Simons, Page confirms with Simon that the latter's appointment to FEMA will be finalized within a week. Simons also informs Page that their new nano-augmented agent, JC Denton, is currently undergoing training and will be ready for deployment within six months. Simons hopes that JC Denton will be more effective than Paul Denton, whom Page and Simons consider to be a disappointment.
As a high-ranking member of Majestic 12, Walton Simons oversees many of MJ12's operations, including the injection of chlorine into New York City's water supply to create an excuse for water rationing, the deployment of newly refitted commandos to MJ12 facilities, and the deployment of new weapons such as the Dragon's Tooth sword. When Simons saw Maggie Chow's value in instigating conflict among the triads, Simons ordered additional MJ12 personnel to be placed under Chow's command for local operations in Hong Kong.
Simons also oversees the actions of Joseph Manderley, the head of UNATCO and a puppet of MJ12. When Paul Denton fails to infiltrate the NSF headquarters, Simons orders Manderley to fire Paul, despite Manderley's insistence that Paul is UNATCO's best agent. Simons expresses confidence in JC Denton. However, much to Simons' dismay, JC later defects from UNATCO. Simons orders his forces to capture JC, but JC manages to escape to Hong Kong.
As the head of FEMA, Simons uses the power of the agency to MJ12's benefit. When JC returns to New York City, the city is now under martial law and has been placed under the authority of FEMA. Simons also directs FEMA to take control of the Brooklyn Naval Shipyards, which is secretly being used by MJ12 to house a freighter carrying a large shipment of the Gray Death virus. Earlier, Simons had implemented the RX84 plan on the orders of Page. RX84, when invoked during a national emergency, allows FEMA to detain up to six million Americans, including the President, Congress, and the Supreme Court. FEMA would also take over the highways, police, airports, media, and the country's Armed Forces. While Simons has not yet invoked RX84, it is said that he may do so at any time upon receiving the orders to do so.
When JC Denton continues to get in the way of MJ12, Simons personally confronts JC at the Pasadena Ocean Lab. As a nano-augmented agent himself, Simons claims to be the more advanced model. However, Simons is unable to stop JC from leaving the Ocean Lab and subsequently infiltrating MJ12's main base at Area 51.
Description[edit | edit source]
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Simons can be found speaking with Manderley during the second visit to the UNATCO Headquarters (after returning from the Warehouse District). After speaking with Manderley, Simons will interrogate and kill the two NSF prisoners.
- During the third visit to the headquarters (after returning from the LaGuardia Airport), Simons can be encountered in the break room speaking with Jaime Reyes.
- Simons is not present in person during the fourth and final visit to the headquarters, but can be spoken to over the holographic communicator in Manderley's office.
- Simons appears as a boss character at the excavation area of the Ocean Lab when JC is attempting to leave the lab after having retrieved the Universal Constructor schematics. This is the first time that he is killable.
- If Simons is not killed or rendered unconscious at the Ocean Lab, he will later appear at Area 51. The game does not make a distinction between dead and unconscious in this circumstance. Thus, rendering Simons unconscious will have the same effect on the story as killing him (i.e., he will not appear at Area 51).
Gameplay attributes[edit | edit source]
- Simons is invincible until the encounter at the Ocean Lab.
- Simons has 600 HP (900 head HP) and uses a Plasma Rifle. He is also immune to the baton, riot prod, and flamethrower, and will only take 10% damage from tranquilizer darts. If you attempt melee combat, Simons will pull out a Dragon's Tooth Sword. These attributes make Simons the strongest humanoid opponent in the game.
- While Simons carries a number of nanotechnological augmentations from the narrative perspective, the only special ability that he has in actual gameplay (besides his damage resistances) is the cloaking ability, which he will use when his health drops to 150 HP or lower.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "One must admire a man who can keep a secret, because he has value."
- "I am a patient man... But not that patient."
- "You will confess, by the way. I don't like to dirty my hands with that sort of thing, but you will confess."
- "The real plague, eating at the minds of the American people, is secessionism, regionalism, this new arrogance and sense of entitlement."
- "Once the bug bites, you've already lost the patient."
- "Do you even have a passing interest in doing your job?"
- "Am I behind a desk right now? No, I'm not."
- "Denton? Walton Simons here. What an expensive mistake you turned out to be. I ordered the troops to kill you, because frankly I don't have the patience to wait for one of those damn killswitches to work."
- "You can't run, Denton. Even if you escape, your killswitch is counting down. You'll be dead in twenty-three hours. Another fifty billion dollars down the drain."
- "We did certainly teach you how to fight, didn't we?"
- "You have nothing! Even if Everett succeeds, you can't synthesize enough vaccine to stop an epidemic. You need a Universal Constructor! And don't think Page Industries is going to leave one lying around for you to use, not after you blew up the one in Hong Kong."
- "Laugh it up, Denton."
- "Remember that NSF gentleman I had to dispatch back at UNATCO Headquarters? Guess you were bitten by the same bug. There's only one cure, you know, once you have the disease."
- "You take another step forward, and here I am again, like your own reflection repeated in a hall of mirrors."
- "I am the more advanced model, Denton. It's time for you to retire."
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Simons has a tendency to continually charge his bioelectric reserves, keeping them at 100% efficiency. This causes an intermittent sharp pain behind his eyes, advised by Jaime Reyes to quit that habit. He is responsible for Joseph Manderley's death if JC Denton doesn't kill him when he escapes from UNATCO HQ. In an interrogation, he kills two NSF soldiers who don't cooperate, even though he says he has information about their families.
- He has a clone named Wade Walker, appearing in Area 51.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Walton Simons' character model and name are based on a long-time friend of Warren Spector named Walton "Bud" Simons.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Deus Ex backstory
- Deus Ex intro scene
- Emails on J. Steward's computer
- "Water Advisory" (Hell's Kitchen bulletin terminals)
- Emails on P. Sherman's computer
- "NEB Trials" (email on VersaLife Level 1 labs computer)
- "Triad Control" (email on VersaLife Level 1 labs computer)
- Simons' conservation with an NSF prisoner: "in the case of a national emergency FEMA has a list of six million Americans who will be transported to detention centers"
- Midnight Sun, "FEMA to detail six million Americans" (article in the GOTY Edition)
- Conversation between guards in the lower decks of the freighter.